Indicators & Statistics for Research, Technology, Development, Innovation
The production of reliable statistics and indicators for Greek research, development and innovation activities is a key pillar of the National Documentation Center (EKT) and a strategic priority.
EKT as National Authority of the Hellenic Statistical System (ELSS), produces the European Research & Development and Innovation statistics for Greece, conducting large surveys on an annual basis, applying European Statistics Code of Practice and the Greek Statistical Law N 3832 /2010 and following strict methodological frameworks as well as the relevant European Regulations.
EKT also produces national statistics covering important aspects of the science, innovation and digital economy system, responding to the needs of its users. Policy makers are among the main users of EKT statistics. As a mechanism for monitoring public policies, the exercise and evaluation of policies in a neutral, systematic and reliable way is strengthened.
With significant activity in the production of new ‘experimental’ statistics in areas of high interest, EKT is expanding statistical research in critical areas of its institutional role, collecting new data and producing indicators that monitor the international statistical agenda, applied policies, and support for the design of targeted initiatives.
The National Documentation Center:
- is an agency and national authority of the Hellenic Statistical System (ELSS), responsible for the production of national statistics for Research, Development and Innovation (RDI) and their transmission to Eurostat, the OECD and other international organisations,
- co-operates with the Hellenic Statistical Authority, conducting extensive annual surveys to collect primary data, applies Greek and European legal frameworks and the relevant guidelines for the production of statistics,
- maintains updated databases and registers in its institutional role, analyses and interconnects the big data gathered, and produces reliable indicators for Greek research and innovation activities,
- maps the country's highly-skilled human resources, records their areas of specialisation, careers and mobility and highlights the outcomes of their activities,
- conducts studies and publishes reports that contribute to a wider and multi-faceted understanding of the national research and innovation system and reflects its comparative positioning internationally,
- supports the design and the monitoring of research, development and innovation policies by providing timely, systematic and accurate indicators of relevance and value.
- Innovation in Greek enterprises
- Research & Development Expenditures and Personnel
- Government budget allocations for Research & Development (GBARD index)
- Digital Transformation
- Regional RDI indicators
- Greek scientific publications in international journals
- Statistics on doctorate holders
- Participation of women in R&D
- Research activities - Greek participation in European projects
- Establishment of EKT as a national authority and agency of the Hellenic Statistical System (2019)
- Establishment of EKT as a national authority and agency of the Hellenic Statistical System (2017)
- The European Statistical System – List of National statistical institutes (NSI) and other national authorities
- Memorandum of Cooperation between EKT and ELSTAT in the fields of Science, Technology and Digital Economy and Society and the coverage of the needs of the National Accounts of the Country (May 26, 2022)
- Memorandum of Cooperation between EKT and ELSTAT in the fields of Science, Technology and Digital Economy and Society and the coverage of the needs of the National Accounts of the Country (December 15, 2020)
- Memorandum of Cooperation between EKT and ELSTAT for the production of statistics for Science and Technology and to meet the needs of the National Accounts of the country (Piraeus, June 4, 2015)
- Memorandum of Cooperation between EKT and ELSTAT for conducting surveys on Innovation and Research and Development (R&D) in enterprises, with reference year 2012
- ΦΕΚ 1359/Β/25.04.2012: Assignment of the project of collection and processing of statistics on Research, Technological Development and Innovation to the National Documentation Center / National Hellenic Research Foundation
- Statistical Law 3832/2010 as in force
- Regulation on the Statistical Obligations of the agencies of the Hellenic Statistical System (ΦΕΚ 4083/τ.Β΄/20.12.2016)
- European Statistics Code of Practice
- Regulation (EU) 2021/690 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 28 April 2021 establishing a program for the internal market, competitiveness of enterprises and European statistics (Single Market Program)
- Regulation (EU) 2019/2152 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 November 2019
- Commission Implementing Regulation (EU) 2022/1092 of 30 June 2022 - laying down technical specifications of data requirements for the topic ‘Innovation’ pursuant to Regulation (EU) 2019/2152 of the European Parliament and of the Council (applies to Innovation/CIS statistics with reference year 2022 onwards)
- Commission Implementing Regulation (EU) 2020/1197 of 30 July 2020 - laying down technical specifications and arrangements pursuant to Regulation (EU) 2019/2152 of the European Parliament and of the Council on European business statistics (applies to R&D and GBARD statistics with reference year 2021 onwards)
- Commission Implementing Regulation (EU) 995/2012 - laying down detailed rules for the implementation of Decision No 1608/2003/EC concerning Community Statistics on Science and Technology (applies to R&D and GBARD statistics and to Innovation/CIS statistics from reference year 2012 to reference year 2020)
- European Regulation on European Statistics (EC) 223/2009
- European Regulation (EC) 1608/2003 - Community statistics on science and technology (repealed from 1 January 2021)
- European Regulation (EC) 753/2004 - implementing Decision No 1608/2003/EC as regards statistics on science and technology (repealed from 1 January 2021)